By Joey Ayoub
Article 522 of the Lebanese penal code suggests that a rapist can be exonerated from his horrendous crime if he decides to marry his victim. This barbaric law not only justifies the unjustifiable but reduces women to mere sex toys as well.
Declaration of Lebanese Men Against Article 522
– We are Lebanese men who reject Article 522 of the Lebanese code. Article 522 suggests that the rape of a woman can be allowed if the rapist marries his victim. It is a law done by men for men and it degrades women to the level of sexual objects.
– We are sons, brothers, fathers, uncles and grandfathers who refuse to have our daughters, sisters, mothers, aunts and grandmothers be denied their inherent rights.
– We reject sexism and all forms of discrimination as being the fruits of lower men.
– We demand that women be treated as our complete equals under the law.
– This article is dangerous, inhumane, and unjust for the following reasons (Source: Delete522.com):
1. It does not only apply to rape, but to all articles in the section (503 – 521) that include including rape of a minor, rape of a person with a mental or physical disability, sex with a minor, molestation of children, sexual harassment of children, exploitation of someone in a weaker position and forcing someone into sexual acts, kidnapping of women or girls (with or without intention of marriage). In all of these cases, Article 522 exonerates the criminal of his crime if he marries the victim. And yes, in all Lebanese confessional laws, women can get married under 18 (ages vary by sect).
2. While it is clearly outrageous to us that a survivor of rape or sexual violence would want to marry her rapist, many families still view this as an “honorable” escape of the shame of rape and could force their daughter to accept it.
3. The mere fact of having such an article in our Panel Code offers the rapist / child molester / kidnapper an escape clause which enforces the general mentality that sex criminals can get away with their crimes. And it encourages convicted rapists of seeking marriage with their victims.
4. Because of this article, criminals who can prove intentions to marry their victims can gain the sympathy of the judges and receive a reduced sentence for their crimes even if they don’t end up with a marriage.
This page is aimed at raising awareness and at getting as many Lebanese citizens as possible to sign the Delete522.com campaign demanding an end to discrimination of women.
So Sign and Share.