On their official English website, the Muslim Brotherhood of Egypt have condemned the UN Draft Resolution calling for an end to violence towards women and girls, calling it a violation of Islamic law.
“A closer look at these articles” they warn us, “reveals what decadence awaits our world, if we sign this document”
They then list their 10 ‘points’ to further elaborate on what a decadent world would look like:
1. Granting girls full sexual freedom, as well as the freedom to decide their own gender and the gender of their partners (ie, choose to have normal or homo- sexual relationships), while raising the age of marriage.
2. Providing contraceptives for adolescent girls and training them to use those, while legalizing abortion to get rid of unwanted pregnancies, in the name of sexual and reproductive rights.
3. Granting equal rights to adulterous wives and illegitimate sons resulting from adulterous relationships.
4. Granting equal rights to homosexuals, and providing protection and respect for prostitutes.
5. Giving wives full rights to file legal complaints against husbands accusing them of rape or sexual harassment, obliging competent authorities to deal husbands punishments similar to those prescribed for raping or sexually harassing a stranger.
6. Equal inheritance (between men and women).
7. Replacing guardianship with partnership, and full sharing of roles within the family between men and women such as: spending, child care and home chores.
8. Full equality in marriage legislation such as: allowing Muslim women to marry non-Muslim men, and abolition of polygamy, dowry, men taking charge of family spending, etc.
9. Removing the authority of divorce from husbands and placing it in the hands of judges, and sharing all property after divorce.
10. Cancelling the need for a husband’s consent in matters like: travel, work, or use of contraception.
They followed by stating that the previous calls “are destructive tools meant to undermine the family as an important institution; they would subvert the entire society, and drag it to pre-Islamic ignorance.”
Put it simply, the Muslim Brotherhood are outraged at the idea that all those who are not straight men would have the same rights as straight men – in other words, women and gay men (i.e., the majority of the world’s population). If they had their way, both would have their basic human rights revoked.
This is very serious.
The Muslim Brotherhood have just declared to the world that they are against Basic Human Rights, a non-debatable moral principle that must be granted to all human beings regardless of race, gender, nationality, belief or sexual orientation. I repeat, non-debatable.
It is non-debatable because there is no rational argument that can be given to justify any inherent superiority claim, whether intellectual or moral, of a whole group of individuals over another.
A world in which the Muslim Brotherhood and their crypto-fascist-like bigoted followers rule is a world where mothers, daughters, sisters, aunts, she-cousins, wives and lovers are slaves.
Let us re-phrase the 10 points put forward by the Muslim Brotherhood and see what world we’re ending up with if we agreed with them:
No woman can choose the age at which she wants to get married.
No woman can choose her partner’s gender or even her own.
No woman can choose the age at which she wants to get pregnant or if she wants to get pregnant.
No woman can remain a woman if she cheats on her master. And no child born from such a relationship would be worthy of being a child.
No Gay man or woman can be a full human being. No prostitutes either – they can’t even be protected.
No married woman can say anything if her husband rapes her.
No married woman should expect her husband to be an equally-important parent.
No Muslim woman can marry a non-Muslim man.
No woman can choose not to share her husband with other women, or be exchanged for money or property.
No married woman can divorce her husband.
No married woman can travel, work, or use contraception without her husband’s approval.
Who else but a disgraceful individual would accept such barbaric inhumanity to be imposed on the world? The battle against women’s rights and against gay rights is a losing battle because people are going to continue fighting for their rights. That is an inevitable fact.
To the Muslim Brotherhood I say,
You are not Humanity’s first mistake nor will you be its last, but you will lose. Any institution that promotes such barbaric inequalities will eventually fall. “We benefit from a legacy of victories of popular struggle, and can continue from a higher plane” a wise man once reminded me when I asked him whether a just world was possible. And I think he’s right. Let’s continue from a higher plane, let us not sink beneath it.
I demand that you apologize for your appalling statements.
To my readers,
the Muslim Brotherhood keeps a message box on their official website. I have sent them what I think of their statement, I urge you to do the same. Here is the link