The “Save Achrafieh” protest against the Fouad Boutros Highway project took place on Saturday the 1st of March at 3pm in front of EDL Mar Mikhael. The second one will take place on Sunday the 2nd of March at 11 am near the Maronite Archbishopric of Rmeil, Achrafieh.
Based on various studies done by NGOs and the Civil Coalition including Save Beirut Heritage against the Fouad Boutros Project, here’s what this project would cause if implemented*:
- The demolition of around 30 buildings, some of high heritage value.
- The uprooting of about a hundred trees (Many of which are centennial).
- The destruction of around 10,000sqm of green spaces.
- The fragmentation of a pedestrian-friendly neighborhood.
- Further pollution and noise.
- Increase of traffic in some areas and lack of parking space.
* The information was taken from the quick summary presented on BlogBaladi. Thank you Najib.
The hashtag on Twitter is #StopTheHighway and the Dress Code is Black.
You can also find me on Twitter @JoeyAyoub
The following poster was designed by Zeina Hawa and she gave us permission to use it. You can download it in high quality by simply clicking on it.
2 thoughts on “Save Achrafieh from the Fouad Boutros Project”
Reblogged this on Ned Hamson Second Line View of the News.
Reblogged this on Beirut, Here I Am..