“Discover Gemmayze” – Achrafieh 2020’s latest project
This Sunday the 1st of December, the Achrafieh 2020 team is organizing its 4th “Car free” day. After Achrafieh, Mar Mikhael, Rmeil/Geitawi, Gemmayzeh is now allowing us to see how it might look at its full potential. Let’s face it, our streets aren’t exactly pretty. The lovely smell of car exhaust mixed with the sweet melody of car honking don’t exactly paint a pretty picture. But hey, the good news is that we really don’t have to live like this. I’m sure we all know the fantastic potential of places like Gemmayze.
So what is Discover Gemmayze? To quote the organizers, “Discover Gemmayze is part of a pioneering, environment and apolitical project called Achrafieh 2020 which aims to transform the district of Achrafieh into a healthy environment, a dream space to live in.”
I’ll be hanging around the Donner Sang Compter stand. We’ll be selling our bracelets and key chains as well as provide info for the curious among you. Pass by!
You can check out the event here. I’ll add photos of the event Sunday evening.
- 10.00am to 5.00 pm bike rentals with Cyclo Sport.
- 9am to 7pm Photography Exhibition with ALBA.
- Street Musicians.
- DJ’s to dance all day with Special Guest Appearance of DJ RODGE from Mix Fm from 3pm to 4pm.
- 11.00am to 5.00 pm. Children corner with arts crafts and cultural activities around music and dance, with le Club des 2 Clowns and Garderie Santa.
- 12pm to 4pm Sports challenge.
- 9am to 7pm NGO, charities and mouné exhibition: on Frères School Wall.
- Several painters scattered from chez Paul to Les Frères School will paint live.
- 2.00pm to 3.00 pm the 161rst Live painting show with Bernard Renno.
- 11.30 am to 5.00 pm street shows: Fanfares, stilt walkers, hip hop, ballroom dance
- 9am to 6pm Wine exhibition on Saint Nicholas stairs with the major vineyard from the Lebanese industry.
- Love lock wall on St Nicholas stairs
- 12pm to 4pm Eps and M3allem, 2 Graffiti artists will paint a wall near Liban Post.
- 11am to 12.30pm free Zumba Classes for all with Pia Afif.
Here are a few pictures from today’s event. Click for higher quality.
You can also find me on Twitter @JoeyAyoub